Demographic-based list segmentation
- You can segment your email lists based on demographic data such as city, state, zip etc or any other subscriber property.
- This type of segmentation is done using the Advanced search utility.
- With this utility you can create a new list segment, a campaign filter or export the search results to a spreadsheet.
Tracking-based list segmentationTracking based on campaign clicks or views.
- With an easy to use menu you can create new lists for subscribers who opened (or not), clicked (or not) in a previous campaign.
Example: you want a list with subscribers who clicked a specific link in a campaign or did not open the campaign at all etc.
- This concept is similar to follow-up campaigns but you create only a filter and not a campaign. You can do it by going to your summary report.
- Then most likely you will want to use this filter in a new campaign with other parameters.
Segmentation using triggersUsing triggers you can do the following (among else):
- Update a subscriber field value. You create a custom subscriber field, let's say #tag1. Then you put a trigger to update this field's data upon click or view.
- Add and/or remove the subscriber to other lists.
Benefits of list segmentation
- Segmentation is key to email marketing success. It increases engagement.
- You can create and use filters in your campaigns to focus only to subscribers that fit the filter criterion.
- When using filters your original mailing lists remain intact. You only focus to a sub-group of the mailing list.
- List segmentation leads to more relevant and targeted email campaigns.